Sunday, September 15, 2019

Initiative

Whenever I bump into someone I know in a shop, I immediately tell them what I’ve come to buy: “Oh, hi Helen, I’m looking for a Cornetto,” or, “Hi Naomi, I’m trying to find a conditioner for extremely dry hair.” Sometimes, as with Naomi, they then join in with the search, and experiences are shared, thereby keeping our interaction non-phatic till we part.

Writing as I did, in my style, I came to omit metaphor,
And describe others by mentioning their given names, little more,
When my isolation was what I intended to underscore:
Might this evolution offer insight into who I wrote for
Throughout, when towards the end, the room just dimmed, according to your
Notion of how a room would for someone dying, whereas before
I might have likened that process to something?