Sunday, November 27, 2016

The Manual for the ZX81

GOTO non-recent abuse, and 35 years on
It seems that instead of typing 'PRINT "Play Player 1"'
In the BASIC program for that space invaders game
(Why should disclosing this make me, the abused, feel shame?),
He evidently typed in 'PRINT "Prepare to be bummed!!!"'

If by reading, in retrospect, the manual for
The ZX81, tracing what he did before
My visit to his house, commands he must have typed in,
I have fought him off once more, what of children akin,
But children I fear, subsequent I fear, who succumbed?

I write to the NSPCC: He was 16,
I was 10. He had set that message to flash on screen
Each time I lost a life; I repeat it verbatim,
Testifying to what is puerile and makes me squirm,
Sinister when his scheming and aggression are summed.